Spanish for Public Interest Lawyers is a non-credit class that offers HLS students the opportunity to learn Spanish language skills in a legal context, emphasizing language most commonly used in civil and criminal legal services practice.
The class will strengthen existing Spanish speaking and comprehension abilities and teach Spanish legal vocabulary to students involved in public interest legal practice. The class will introduce students to general legal Spanish vocabulary (e.g. immigration, human rights, legal aid, etc.). Students will work to develop stronger attorney-client relations by improving communication with Spanish-speaking clients.
- Students must have at least advanced proficiency in Spanish.
- This class is not for credit, but regular attendance is required. The class will meet once a week for two hours (time TBD).
- Class participation is vital and outside homework is minimal. Language practice and listening to Spanish between classes is encouraged.
- Enrollment is limited to 20 students.
- 2L and 3L students currently in a direct services clinic or SPO who have at least advanced proficiency in Spanish will receive priority.
- Students meeting the criteria will be accepted through a randomized selection process.
Email email@example.com with the following information by5PM on Thursday, January 15:
- Year (2L, 3L)
- Name of clinic or SPO you will be working with in the spring and any clinic or SPO you have previously worked with.
- Rank in order of preference ideal class time:
- At least one paragraph, in Spanish, describing your general interests and your focus in law school.
- Bullet points (also in Spanish) that list past or current experiences you’ve had speaking Spanish or working with Spanish-speaking clients.
Students will be contacted on January 16 with the results of their application. Students who are accepted will receive information about the class meeting time. Classes will be held weekly. The first class will meet the week of January 26 and the last class will meet the week of April 20.